I am running for School Board for the North Kansas City Schools (NKCS) because I believe that great schools are a central component of a thriving community. I believe in students and want to ensure that they are prepared to contribute to society as responsible citizens and possess the education and skills needed to compete and succeed in the modern global economy. NKCS already is a great school district, but we cannot settle. As an involved parent with kids in the district (Davidson Elementary), I want to be a part of making NKCS the very best district in Missouri.
As a school board member, my priorities will be:
- School Safety. Every day we entrust our children's safety and well-being to school administrators, teachers, and staff. Keeping our students safe and secure must be priority number one. To protect our young people from harm, I’ll make sure we regularly evaluate and revise as necessary all policies and procedures that deal with school safety, security, building access, background screening, and emergencies.
- Wise use of taxpayer dollars. Hard-earned taxpayer dollars must be spent towards quality education with great consideration, with focus on students, and with responsibility, accountability, and transparency.
- Family Involvement. I’ll advocate for families and promote policies that keep parents and guardians fully informed on their child’s academic progress and individual needs as well as on school policies, curriculum, calendars, and emergency or special circumstances. And this communication should not be a one-way street. I’ll encourage a process that seeks input from families in setting such policies.
- High Academic Standards. To help students reach their full potential, we should expect excellence and hold them to rigorous and high academic standards.
- Top-Notch Teachers. Excellent teachers are the backbone of a great school district. Effective teaching enables students to achieve superior results. NKCS must attract, maintain, train, develop, and support great teachers. Excellence should be demanded and rewarded.
- Cutting-Edge Technology. 21st-century curriculum should be integrated with the latest technology, not only to achieve greater relevance, but also to prepare students to compete in the ever-changing marketplace.
- Community Partnerships. Greater opportunities for students can be achieved by extending community collaboration. I will encourage NKCS to foster partnerships with businesses, municipalities, and colleges and vocational schools to prepare students to compete in the modern, hi-tech, and global economy.
Thanks for visiting our campaign’s website. Please vote for me on April 2, 2013.